All my baby posts thus far have been kind of self-centered, ignoring the fact that there’s this brand new person to introduce to the world. If you’ve ever met a newborn, you know that they’re not terribly interesting until they gain interactive powers. Talia’s not quite there yet, so for now I’ll just have to make up a personality. We can check back in 18 years to see how accidentally perceptive I might have been.
Hello Baby. It’s the only one she’s stayed awake for so far. You probably aren’t familiar with this book because it doesn’t have any words and the pictures are all bold patterns of black, white, red, blue, and yellow. There’s also a mirror embedded in the middle of each page. The idea is that babies first perceive contrasting patterns as they develop their eyesight, so they’d obviously love a book that’s full of such things.
On the other hand, it’s pretty darn difficult to read a book like this to a newborn. What do you say? “Look Talia, find the red dot? Can you point to the red dot? Of course not…well then, I’ll point to the red dot. Oh, you can’t focus your eyes yet? Well trust me…there’s a red dot right there.” I still tried to read it to her in the hospital, but afterwards I decided to stick with books with words in them. Jonathan did a better job reading it; he made a story about every page. My personal favorite is the “jail cell” page that has a bunch of black and yellow stripes on it. With the mirror in the middle, he said that Talia was in jail. Yep.
Favorite Activity: Sleeping
This is why I don’t have any real personality data to share. Talia sleeps a lot. Except at night.
Least Favorite Activity: Tummy Time
You’re apparently supposed to put infants on their tummy five times a day to help them avoid a flat head and some kind of reshaping helmet. Talia’s personal record for tummy time is five minutes, at which point she started crying. Here Jonathan was mimicking everything she did:
- Pooping – From Day 1, we’ve been impressed at Talia’s poopiness. I don’t even mind changing diapers because Talia gets a checkmark for every diaper she makes on her food log. To me, this is as close as I or she will ever get to receiving gold stars for poop, so I’ll enjoy it while I can. I haven’t captured her poopy face yet, mostly because she usually poops while she’s eating.
- Thinking – This is one of my favorite poses:
- Sharing – You may recall that Goomba likes balloons. It was nice of Talia to share hers:
- Rainbow Connection – This seems to be her lullaby of choice. Daddy knows all the words, so he does all the singing. If we’re lucky, he’ll even talk like Kermit the Frog.
- Captain America Theme Song – “When Captain America throws his mighty shield….” You might wonder, “why would you sing that to a baby?” Has a newborn ever screamed at you for 45 minutes? You’ll sing anything at that point. And this one seemed to work.
- Home – By Phillip Phillips. An American Idol was actually useful for something. I think she likes the drums in this one.
- Talia Bunny
- Talia Bean
I guess that’s all for now. Jonathan has the really good pictures on his camera, but it might be a while before he has time to process them. Sooo, this might be my opportunity to rejuvenate my camera obsession. Ever since Jonathan took up photography, I’ve felt pretty redundant with my camera, so I haven’t taken as many pictures. However, because I have all this pumping time to write blog posts now, I really need access to pictures, ergo I should take some pictures.